Wednesday 23 September 2009

Salad Anyone? A salad Review

The quest for the perfect Caesar Salad

To quote Caesar “I came, I saw, I conquered.” It seems to have been easier for Caesar to have made that statement than for many a Restaurant to be able to actually make this sought after salad properly. Certainly recent experiences dining out in Hong Kong has proved challenging to say the least. It is also worth noting that while not actually named in honor of Julius Caesar it was funnily enough reputed to be named after the creator apparently being an Italian born Mexican. The story goes he invented the dish in 1924 when a rush depleted the kitchen's supplies. Caesar Cardini made do with what he had, adding the dramatic flair of the table-side tossing "by the chef". Of special note the original recipe uses Worcestershire sauce as the Anchovies were a later adaptation.


So it’s not really Italian after all, once when I was game enough to ask an Italian Chef if he could make one anyway he was aghast at my request with the quick retort “but its net even Italian!” That said, I like it and I am sure most people dining out in Hong Kong enjoy it too and have had their fair share of fair to middling attempts. So here is the short list of the places in HK that I have tried, liked or hated depending on what was put in front of me. Note all salads should be served and eaten when chilled and at not room temperature, only rabbits eat salad at room temperature.

My best tips HK Island side for a good Caesar Salad and one to avoid…..

Cru Soho – Excellent, as Cru does one of the best Caesar Salads around town with what is the closest you will ever get to being a genuine dressing as well, just ask them to go light on the dressing or have on the side to be safe. Tasty crisp romaine lettuce with all the right trimmings. My best recommendation is to have it with Salmon.

Jaspers Soho – Always good as far as restaurants go they also do a fab Caesar Salad and I suggest the Chicken there as this place is best at meat.

Isola Central – Headed by an Italian Manager, Carlo and an Italian head chef too you have a choice of fresh on the semi buffet or al a carte, either way they do a good job and certainly have the finest ingredients.

Press Room- Well it comes as no surprise here that a salad, any salad at Press Room is pretty much hit and miss. Descriptions that come to; mind, limp and soggy while at the same time missing key ingredients all together!

Now for those wanting to make one at home….. Please message me and I will send you my favorite recipe….in the meantime happy dining in Hong Kong.

No comments:

Post a Comment